Roast Cornish Duck Posted on 01 Jun 11:13
This is the definitive way to cook your whole Cornish duck, ensuring a perfect Sunday roast, every time.
- Check the cavity is empty and weigh the duck.
- Pour a kettle full of boiling water slowly over the duck then pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Using a cocktail stick, make small perforations in the skin. This will enable the juices to pour out in cooking and crisp the skin.
- Place the duck breast side down on a rack in a roasting tin.
- Roast for 1 hour in the centre of the oven. You can drain the rendered fat into a jar to keep for roasting potatoes.
- Turn the oven down to 180°C/gas mark 4 and turn the duck over so the breast is facing up.
Roast for approx:
- 30minutes for 2kg
- 40minutes for 2.3kg
- 50minutes for 2.6kg
- When the time is up, remove the duck from the oven and keep it in a warm place to rest for about 15-20 minutes.